7/28/08

About the Name of this Blog or about plans

I don’t really know why I have called this blog bern-vladivostok since I was never sure weather I would really reach Vladivostok as many of you know. While I was travelling, I have heard many very nice stories about southern Russia and also about Ukraine. On the other hand, when looking at the map you can see, that from lake Baikal to Vladivostok there is just one road about 3500km which I would have had to go forth an back. So I decided to head back from lake Baikal through Mongolia, enter Russia at the Altai mountains again and take some time for southern Russia and Ukraine.
But maybe I chose this name on purpose to tell you some words about my way of travelling and of making plans…
Because the only meaning of plans (travelling plans) is to change them! My plans are always only very major and the details are decided on the road. Since you can n ever tell the certain circumstances you will find once you really reached a place and you should be free to react on them. Even the major plans can change once you are on the road (which I did with deciding to not go to Vladivostok). This in my eyes is what makes travelling a real adventure. If you just have to stick to your schedules, you miss many opportunities which just show up on your way. I have met a few backpackers who have planned their whole trip with the Transsib. They have bought all the tickets and therefore have a fixed schedule and they can only (or have to) stay in each city as long as they have planned at home. All of these travellers regret their fixed timetable!

1 comment:

era said...

1 aug you can see the Solar Eclipse in this place!

The map:
http://www.eclipse-2008.ru/eclipse/map.php