8/20/08

THE ISLAND

After Miles and Miles through Siberia and a lot of parties and fun with Russian People, I decide to visit Olkhon, an island in Lake Baikal. Riding there, I leave the rain from Irkutsk behind me and am amazed about the ‘steppic’ Landscape. The road soon turns into a gravel road and Ina and me truly enjoy the ride. Waiting for the ferry, the rain catches us again, but it is far less burly then in the City. After one and a half hours the ferry arrives and – it is for free! In the Lonely Planet the description of the bus to The Island says: “… including ferry tax.” I guess this is how they sell the ticket to the dumb tourists. “Yes, it is a little expensive, but this is because of the ferry!” ;)
On The Island I easily find Nikita’s Homestead and I book a room for two nights, because I am not sure about the rain. The only fuel station on the island is out of gas, so I can not make too ling trips. Nevertheless I enjoy riding the ‘roads’ here without any luggage and I find a huge beach where I sunbathe naked, since I am the only human around. After I am warm enough, I take my maiden swim in Baikal! Very refreshing;)

At Nikita’s I meat many tourists, about 6 Swiss among them! For me it is a very welcome change to talk to Western people once again and we have such a nice time (as good weather), I decide to stay another two nights. Unfortunately the weather changes and because I am afraid of the slippery gravel roads, I stay another night. So I finally want to leave on my 5th day. My luggage is packed and everything attached to Ina. I go for a little passashok chai with Mike and Mona, but the dining room is closed so we only have a cigarette. While passashok Ina falls over and her clutch breaks. I sign in for another three nights, because I think it might take a while on The Island to fix this. But everybody helps me and - a few hours later I have a clutch from an Ural mounted. It will do it until Irkutsk, where I can get a proper clutch.
Although we were kidding about being 'stuck on The Island' it was a great time and the Nature there is just amazing!!!

btw: Lame birds sing of freedom, free birds fly!

No comments: